Hopefully this document answers a whole bunch of questions you have about me.
If I were to boil down who i am into one sentence, it’s that I am a semi-nomadic, US-based technologist, creator, and civic entrepreneur dedicated to building tools, systems, and movements that accelerate human and planetary flourishing (and ultimately help build toward a Golden Age for humanity).
I share my thoughts on how to get to that Golden Age faster in my Substack.
I document other reflections and pieces of me in my Wiki, such as…
- My vision for humanity by 2040: Gary’s Vision for Humanity
- My vision for my life by 2030: Gary’s Vision for His Life
- My inspirations: Gary’s Inspirations (People)
- Work With People Who Can’t Help But Dream About Their Work
MY CURRENT WORK 👨🏻💻
The goal is to build a global community that accelerates innovation at the intersection of crypto and other frontier tech fields like AI, biotech, and neurotech; as well as partnering with local leaders around the world to catalyze IRL innovation ecosystems.
Other commitments include…
- A group focused on establishing an open source framework for human flourishing (think: Linux for the future of civilization)
- Other interest groups that relate in some way to civics, politics, foundational tech, culture, or media.
There is never a dull moment.
In terms of passions, nothing excites me more than helping budding superheroes realize their superpowers and connecting previously siloed people, ideas, + practices. Our differences are our greatest gifts.
When we work together, almost anything is possible.
A few of the top questions I am currently exploring are:
- How do we build systems that provide reliable streams of funding for the “Public Greats” of the world (who do so much for the public good but are almost always chronically underfunded)?
- What can we learn from MMORPGs on how to make changing the world more fun and engaging for long periods of time?
- What do we need to do to protect crypto/web3’s future in the US (and beyond)?
- How do we accelerate and eliminate impediments to human flourishing?
- How can crypto/web3, AI, and other foundational tech be applied to build the future of living, starting with small village experiments?
- How do we make the “regen” lifestyle fun / attractive / cool?
- How can we use science to prove the power of community, love, and prayer; and inspire people to experience all three more in their life?
- How does one build a network that adds significant value to existing innovation networks that each has its own mission that is a flavor of “to incubate a radically better society”?
MY PAST LIVES 🛣️
I was previously a core contributor to Gitcoin, which builds technology that helps communities fund what matters to them.
One of my proudest accomplishments is co-founding and building Civics Unplugged, a 501(c)(3) that empowers Gen Z to become the civic innovators their communities need.
Since 2019, CU has been providing training, mentorship, opportunities, and community for regen-minded changemakers from all around the world (80+ countries represented as of 2023).
In Jan '22, under Civics Unplugged, I spearheaded the launch of Dream DAO, which provides alumni of CU's core civic innovation program with the foundational training + opportunities they need to be + build the future of web3 x social impact. The potential of our DreamerZ community is out of this world.
The DAO is supported by Celo, Coinbase, Gitcoin, NEAR, Ethereum Foundation and many other leaders in web3. It's truly amazing to see the web3 community come together to support its future leaders.
Working at Google changed my life, but I left because I couldn't stand to watch our democracy fall apart, and I felt I had to do everything I could to help reverse its downward spiral 🗽.
CONTENT CREATION 📝
Anyone who knows me knows that I love the "regen” meme, which I believe is one of the most powerful and unifying memes of the decade (and possibly beyond).
Another meme I'm incredibly bullish on is "foundational tech."
Re: foundational tech, I started a Substack called America 2.0 that is focused on how we accelerate more quickly toward a Golden Age for Humanity. Read the launch post "The Foundational Tech Manifesto" here.
In my Substack, I write a lot about popup villages, collective intelligence, planetary civics, and my lessons learned traveling around and coliving in different parts of the world with innovators.
I also write frequently in my personal Wiki here.
A quick note about my X profile: if you scroll through it quickly, you'll notice it's full of hopeful art, quotes, and observations.
I want my posts to be a source of light in a world of doom and gloom.
Optimism is self-fulfilling when tied to collective action.
Through bulls, bears and everything in between, I'm excited to build alongside you.
EVENTS + OTHER MEDIA 🎥
I speak regularly at conferences (like SXSW, ETHDenver, Consensus) and on podcasts/documentaries about DAOs, hyperlocalism, foundational tech, America's future, and all things regen 🎙.
I was featured in a PBS “Roadtrip Nation” documentary on Changemakers (published in March 2023).
Let me know if you'd like to invite me to a conference/podcast/Twitter Space/etc (if I have to travel, I need the costs completely comped).
And in general, if you'd like to coordinate/collaborate/communicate with me, I'm mainly looking for collaborators related to building popup villages and other scenius gardens for innovators and artists.
LEARN MORE + CONNECT 🤝
- Check out my personal website: https://www.garysheng.com
- Check out Edge City, my new organization: https://wiki.edgecity.live/about
- Check out my personal Wiki (full of reflections that don’t make it to my Substack): https://wiki.garysheng.com/
- Shoot me a DM on Twitter if you have any questions or opportunities to send my way.